In 2002 EnergyBus was born out of the vision to develop one standard for all electric components of LEVs enabling them to safely interoperate and communicate. In 2010 this vision became reality and took shape in the first pedelec using EnergyBus connectors and communication protocol only. In the future, the EnergyBus organization awaits more companys to join and more products profiting from EnergyBus Standard to make EBS what USB has become for the computer industry.
ExtraEnergy e.V. recognized the lack of a standardized connection device and communication protocol for LEV components when working with Deutsche Post / DHL to extend their pedelec fleet for delivery service
First EnergyBus bicycle built based on RS-485
First presentation of the EnergyBus idea at LEV Conference in Taipei, Taiwan
Ongoing research on EnergyBus and applications
Working on specifications requirements
Cooperation with c&s group / Wolfhard Lawrence started
Research on physical layer by c&s group
Revised version of Corporate Identity
Change from RS-485 to CAN as a result of the study by c&s group
Cooperation with CAN in Automation e.V. CiA started
Foundation of EnergyBus e.V. on March 19, 2007 in Taipei by seven private founding members
Official presenation of the EnergyBus Organization at LEV Conference in Taipei
ExtraEnergy e.V. and Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) become members
Five new members join EnergyBus e.V.
EPS changes their drive system from SM Bus to CAN to prepare for EnergyBus
Inivitation to tender for a public battery exchange system
Start of 100.000 electric scooter project in Taiwan. Companies participating in the subsidy project have to adapt their products to CAN standard to prepare for EnergyBus.
First product using EnergyBus connectors and communication protocol in beta-version is shown at Intermot tradeshow in Cologne, Germany
Final version of the connector family developed by Rosenberger
Communication Protocol version 1.0 based on CAN expected in March
--> EnergyBus ready to be implemented by anyone who joins the EnergyBus organization
For the next years EnergyBus e.V. counts on:
- A growing number of member companies
- Finalization, further development and improvement of EnergyBus specifications
- Definition and development of standard EnergyBus charging connector and later on the full connector set to cater the specific needs of LEV application
- Definition of testing procedure
- Development of EnergyBus complian, certified devices
- Successful release of LEVs and devices using EnergyBus on the market
Significant factors are
- The development and especially the speed at which it takes place strongly depend on the input of LEV component suppliers and vehicle manufacturers.
- EnergyBus e.V. now counts seven members. The team had further discussions with strategic market players of the LEV industry who assured their support for EnergyBus. Now it depends how effective the Technical Committees can define the requirements of EnergyBus, the connector set and the protocol.
- As other industries showed the trend to standardization cannot be stopped. The more companies are willing to participate and become active, the faster will bet he speed at which EnergyBus will be adopted as mainstream communication interface fort he LEV industry.