EnergyBus will solve many problems the light electric vehicle industry is facing as it grows: the major ones are compatibility of electric components and safety issues.
Imagine a world where:
- LEV components of different manufacturers can be easily combined
- Technology updates of one device don’t require adjustments in other components
- Standardized components fit many applications without changing the specifications
- Production is possible at larger quantity and lower cost
- Investments in very specialized components become profitable
- Defective components can easily be detected
- Products have a long maintenance-free lifetime
- A bigger product variety can be offered that satisfies the customer’s needs
The LEV industry learns from other industries
Today the LEV industry is in the same situation as the computer industry before the introduction of USB. Components of different manufacturers cannot be used together. If one device changes, all the others have to be adapted. That costs time and money.
In the LEV industry we cannot find a situation as in the computer industry, where big market players discuss issues and find solutions together. That is why ExtraEnergy and ITRI decided to step in and enhance communication and development together with other industrie players.
With the EnergyBus standard, we do the same as other industries – to create a common communication interface standard for LEV components and a special interest group behind, the EnergyBus e.V.
The EnergyBus is a communication protocol based on CAN, which is widely used in the automotive industry. Thanks to EnergyBus, components such as batteries, motors, sensors, battery chargers, and many more are able to communicate with each other. A common EnergyBus set of connectors will make it possible to interchange components of different manufacturers and product generations.
CAN bus has revolutionized the car industry.
USB standard has revolutionized the computer industry.
Bluetooth has revolutionized the cell phone industry.
EnergyBus will to do the same in LEVs.